2009/10/20

Not worth dying for

Ok. You can almost see the fleece scarf. Almost.

MO:

I got tired of coughing so in the late afternoon I went out for a run. Wearing running tights, a Nike Pro vest, a long sleeved fleece, a windstopper and the most essential item from October 1-April 15, my fleece running scarf. I have a very sensitive neck, throat and ears. If I go running in the autumn/winter with a bare neck, my ears and throat will be sore and swollen for hours.
I felt so much better afterward and although I´m still coughing now and again, it´s not as violent.
Sometimes it´s hard to know if training will help or make it worse when you are feeling a bit under the weather.

My rule of thumb is:

* Fever - NEVER, EVER train. Anything. Normally I rest from cardio work for as many days as I´ve been having a temperature. Fever for 3 days? I´ll take a minimum of 3 fever free days before I´m back on it.
* Sore throat - tricky one. If it hurts when you swallow - REST, if it´s just itching and uncomfortable, I normally allow myself very light intensity work.
* Runny nose - light to medium intensity cardio work if it´s "on its own". If accompanied by a sore throat, see aforementioned point.
* Achy body - NEVER, EVER train. This is normally the pre-stage to fever.
* Cough - on its own: light to medium intensity cardio work. Accompanied with any of the other symptoms above, see previous answers.


When I was (a lot) younger and lived in Scotland. I taught 21 classes/week. (Yes, yes, utter madness, I know). I got a cold. I continued working and training. I went down with the flu. 2 weeks off work, sick as a dog. I ran a high temperature, had achy joints, body and a throat that was killing me, etc etc.
I had about 2 fever free days and then pushed myself back to teach 21 classes. I didn´t even last a week.
Suddenly I went down with a monster high temperature, I got so light sensitive that I vomited from pain when the curtains were opened in the morning, I had a migraine from hell (I normally don´t even have headaches...) and I couldn´t turn my head without throwing up. A day later I was admitted to the infection clinic at Glasgow General Hospital. I had menengitis (hjärnhinneinflammation).

I stayed at the infection ward for over 3 weeks. When I finally got to leave the hospital I was under strict orders not to walk any further than from the bedroom - to the bathroom - for 6 MONTHS!
I lost so much weight (10kg on an already small frame) in the first few weeks that I looked like a walking skeleton. I got exhausted from walking around in my home. My immune system was so low, I wasn´t allowed to visit any crowded spaces, let alone a supermarket in the first weeks after being hospitalized...

I´ve learned my lesson the hard way. If I have any doubts about any of the points above (sore throat, runny nose or cough), I always choose the safe option and take an extra day of rest.


.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

TACK Monika för ett superbra inlägg! Hoppas det är ok om jag länkar till detta....

Stor kram i höstrusket

mojo said...

Tack Jenny!
Självklart är det okej.
Hoppas att du har en fin höst och att BB-klasserna går strålande!

Varma kramar
Mo