2008/04/25

Day 1 in New York...

Mo: First day in New York and it`s 29 degrees! Wicked!

Well, after a soy capuccino at Starbucks and a breakfast come lunch from Wholefoods, we found Jivamukti around the corner. We also wanted to check out the Birkram yoga studio in the same building. I was quite excited about finally getting the chance to REALLY sweat it out in 40 degrees plus, so when we got the opportunity to try out a week of classes for 20 dollars we said yes immediately and went in to change into yoga gear.

The class started out ok. Not a very exciting sequence, but it was nice to be properly warm. About half way into the class something weird happened. I started to feel incredibly nauseated and when I watched my own face in the mirror it was white with very red bloches all over...
We were asked to do a pose that I have done a zillion times before. A pose that I normally could do in my sleep. Something even MORE weird happened. The voice of the teacher suddenly started to fade, I could feel my body float, I was in a dream! Time stood still, colour disappeared, there were the most amazing black dots playing around, distracting my vision in my dream...I was FAINTING! Only pure perseverance and grit helped me remain sort of half standing with my head between my legs almost touching the mat. I hear someone saying "Maybe you should sit down?"

Damn, I`m soooo incredibly stubborn!!! Did I leave the class? Over my dead body! I stayed right until the end and managed to almost get a grip over my fainting, nausea & dizzyness...
J.E.Z. Barely survived my first yoga class in NY.

What to do?

Had about a ton of pineapple and melon from Wholefoods, eaten in the scorching sun at Union Square and then went to a Breathing Restorative Yoga class at Yogaworks on 5th. You know what they say: "...just get back up on the horse...."

Will I go back for more Bikram? I promise to keep you posted...

No comments: