2008/02/14

My bloody Valentine


Mo: According Wikipedia, Valentine´s Day is: "...a holiday celebrated on Feb 14. In North America and Europe, it is the traditional day on which lovers express their love for each other by sending Valentine´s cards, presenting flowers, or offering confectionery. The holiday is named after two early Christian martyrs named Valentine. The day became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished."

I saw numerous men hurrying around town today, looking stressed and haggard. Some were carrying flowers, others badly disguised chocolate boxes.

Does love come in a card, a bunch of flowers or in chocolate? (I´m not even really that fond of chocolate and my sister+husband run one of the loveliest chocolate store´s in the city...)

Is it a good thing to have an official day for love or does that just make us suckers to the commercial powers that be?

Maybe it´s just a way of giving the finger to single people saying "you suck, today is for couples only!" - at least that´s what some of my single friends think. (If you took offense to that line, the politically correct line should be: "singles awareness day"...)

I haven´t made my mind up yet. I would like every day to be a day of love. For couples,singles, straight, gay, bi, dogs and cats. What I do know, though, is that the roses I received on Saturday (6 days before the "official" day!), see the "Roses are red" thread, are now more beautiful than ever!

No comments: